Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

Familia,

After being a Legal Resident Alien for 33 years, I became a US Citizen on June 18, 2008.

In 1995 Mexico became part of the Dual Citizenship Act. It was then that I knew I would apply for US Citizenship, as I would be able to also retain my Mexican Citizenship.

My Swear In Ceremony took place at Teikyo Loretto Heights Univeristy in Denver, CO. There were 286 people from 51 countries being represented, from Afghanistan to Viet Nam and the rest of the alphabet in between. Mexico had the largest representation in my group. The morning swear in ceremony that same day had 350 people. An average 5,000 people a day are sworn in as US Citizens Nationwide.

The group of 286 "Almost Citizens" was devided in 3 sub-groups, Red, White & Blue, and we were seated accordingly in the lower level of the auditorium. Family memebers were seated on the second floor (balcony-like). I was in the Blue Team and was flanked by an older Asian couple on my left, and a very elegant Mexican gentleman of about 50 on my right. Behind me was a man from Nigeria, a woman from Croetia, a man from France, and a young man from Australia. In front of me were a woman from Germany, a young man from Nicaragua in US Military uniform, a woman from Venezuela and a woman from Brazil.

The ceremony lasted an hour, with a welcome speech from the head of the Colorado Homeland Security Office, a performance of the "Star-Spangled Banner" by a fantastic group of Adelides, videos of fellow residents becoming citizens in other parts of the country, images of beautiful American symbols (ie: The Flag, Mount Rushmore,Great Seal of the US, our Military Troops, etc.) to the music of "I'm Proud to be An American". The couple on my left kept wiping tears away at different times during the event. The Mexican gentleman on my right stated the "Pledge of Allegiance" with such force and pride that it got MY tear dam flowing. After we were officialy sworn, in we were asked to congratulate and welcome our fellow citizens around us, and there were smiles, tears, loud laughs and happy cheers all around us.

The Host also asked ALL military personal,active, non-active, Guard, etc., to rise and he addressed them as follows:

"On behalf of these new citizens, and on behalf of the people of the United States, I thank you for helping us preserve our freedom". That brought the house down!!!

It was Electric, Exciting, and VERY Emotional. It was an extremely important moment in my life. I am , indeed, PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!


CEERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION



YES, I AM PROUD!


PAPI & JOSH CON LA NUEVA AMERICANA

LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT

7 comments:

Joe Morales said...

Congrats mom!

Now that it is official I'm going to let you in on a little known secret among US citizens. It was really tough for me to keep this from you throughout my childhood..
Unlike Mexico we have Tear Ducts here as opposed to the mexican Tear Dams..

MoonRaka said...

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja,ja!!!!!!!!!Bilingual Laughing!

Que Malo!

Dad says that just because I'm American now does not mean I am not still your Mama'!

Que Risa!

Deb said...

HAHAHAHA!!
Congrats Raka!
Joey..... You can't say dat little girl! You always make me laugh, you are too funny. Can't wait for you guys to come home so we can hang out!

Joe Morales said...

Only if you give me pine cones

Suzanne said...

What is Pine Cones? Handy, you made me cry again. What a wonderful 4th of July this will be, eh?

Love you

Cuni

Joe Morales said...

Pine cones! They key ingredient for our crafty x-mas a few years back.

Greg and Amy Reed said...

Hi Raquel,

Congratulations on becoming a US citizen. You are an amazing woman who positively influence all those around you. Love, Greg and Amy