Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Speaking of Ice Sculptures

For those who likes Greg's pictures of the Breckenridge ice sculptures... Here is another bizarre thing of ice.

I was riding last week out by Chatfield reservoir on my way up to Morrison. The trail I was riding passes under C-470 via a tunnel. I cruised down hill into the tunnel at a pretty fast speed - like 25 MPH. The tunnel was really dark and freezing... ahead I could see some strange white splotches but couldn't quite make out what they were so I slowed down a lot. As a came closer I saw that water had been leaking into the tunnel from the highway above. Over time this cold winter it has formed these huge ice stalagmites... Could have been quite dangerous if someone took the tunnel with some speed.

I went back a few days later with Rob Hammer to record the event and as always, he did it justice. I may use it for my website as a "Winter weather riding advisory".




2 comments:

MoonRaka said...

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!! Rob is the Man Joey..................but La Percha (The Subject) has a lot to do with the final result. The 2 of you are Bad Asses.

Deb said...

WOW That is so cool looking!!!!!!