Thursday, June 17, 2010

Midnight marauders on our back porch!!!!

Hello family,

For several weeks, Amy and I have had a "mysterious midnight visitor" breaking into my old milk can on the back porch. I store bird seed in the milk can for my backyard bird feeders and in the mornings we would find the lid to the milk can on the ground with bird seed scattered around. As we have many feathered and furry creatures in our neighborhood I considered the usual suspects......





















However, without proof........ I decided to try securing the lid with twine to prevent further mischief in the night! This seemed to work as we had no more "lid off-scattered bird seed" in the morning for about a week. Then last week......I awoke to find the lid off again.....bird seed scattered on the ground......the twine in pieces......and the milk can knocked over on it's side.
Hmmmm........as the milk can weighs about 40 pounds.....I decided this eliminated several of the usual suspects.....but.....I still did not have enough evidence to name the guilty party!!!
Therefore, I decided to increase security and wire the lid onto the can with metal wire!!!!
This worked for about a week.....then around mid-night.....several nights ago....Amy and I were awakened by a loud metal crash!!!!!!
I jumped out of bed and ran to the window to see what could be seen....but it was dark (we keep the lights out at night) and at first I couldn't see anything....then.....MOVEMENT!!!! I remained still and quiet and continued to watch.....and then..... more movement......there were several vandals!!!!
Finally I could see the culprits and they were........ (you'll have to vote on who you think the midnight marauder's were)....and I'll post the answer in a week or so....
Greg

4 comments:

MoonRaka said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha......I vote for Los Cuatro Mapaches Bandidos/ The Four Bandit Racoons. They did it as a team !
Great story telling Suegro. I think you should volunteer at the Library.

Unknown said...

We (Jean and Harry) also vote for the four Racoons. We also have theivery from our back patio, but we're pretty sure the bandits here in Arizona are ground squirrels.

Julie said...

I vote for the Racoons

Greg Reed said...

Hello family!!!!

You are all correct....it was a mother raccoon and her cub. When I caught them in the act...they had knocked over the large metal milk can which holds my sunflower seeds (and weighs about 40 pounds) and it looked like they were rolling it toward the back gate!!!!! Perhaps they were planning on taking it home to their "shop" where they could use a blow torch to cut it open :-)

Since the incident...I have moved my bird feeder milk cans into the garage which is locked at night!
Hmmm.......I wonder how long it will be before the raccoons learn how to pick locks??? I'll keep you posted!!!!

Greg