Monday, August 30, 2010

Cucumber Avocado Soup

Makes 3-4 quarts

6 medium cucumber, ends cut off, peeled seeded and roughly chopped
2 ripe avocadoes, pitted and peeled
1 cup scallion greens, washed
1 cup cilantro leaves , washed
2 cups buttermilk or yougurt
2 teaspoons toasted, ground cumin seed
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Add half the ingredients to a blender and blend soup smooth. Repeat with remaining half. Taste, adjust seasoning and add additional jalapeno if necessary. Chilled the soup thoroughly before serving. Serve within 48 hours (the soup will start to oxidize and discolor after a day or so). ENJOY!!

Note: I use a couple of more cucumbers to make it less creamy. I haven't used the cumin seed yet, I'm sure it adds a lot of flavor. I use all of the cilantro, not just the leaves. I also use the whole cucumber, minus the ends (I use the seeds).
The soup does not oxidize as quickly as the recipe says; I've kept it in my fridge for 4 days and it tastes and looks delicious.

I also think the reason it has turned out so incredibly delicious is that I have used mostly LOCAL ingredients (not the avocadoes).

3 comments:

Joe Morales said...

Thanks mom.. I think Julie is going to use this.

Deb said...

Sounds like something I would love, not sure if it would go over well with John. He's such a meat and potatoes sort of guy.
I think I'll try it anyway and see what happens. Thanks.

MoonRaka said...

Deibie,
I had UA try it, since it's ALL nutritious ingredients, I thought he'd really like it...............he took a small taste and said "Guacala Mom, I mean no disrespect, but what the hell makes it so creamy ?"...LOL....oh well, I know what you mean about Johan probably not caring for it.