Sunday, April 26, 2009

Swine Flu / Mexico City

Familia,

I spoke to my brother, Armando, this morning regarding the Swine Flu situation in Mexico City. He said it is very serious and authorities are doing everything possible to "Contain" what could become the next Global Pandemic.

All schools, Kinder Garden, Elementary, High Schools, Universities, Private, Public, have been closed down until May 6th, or further notice.

All Open Air Events, Soccer Games, Park Pic Nics, Farmer's Markets, have also been closed down. People are being urged to remain in their homes, and when it's necessary to go outside, to wear masks over their nose and mouth.

The Hospitals are overwhelmed with Mass Paranoia, people thinking they have the symptoms. So Doctors are coming out to the streets, where people are lining up ,to check their eyes and take their temperature to decide who should stay in line and who should go home.

Armando said that he spoke to Felipe, our oldest brother, this morning and he and his family are doing well. I left Felipe a voice mail.

I spoke to Jessica, our youngest sister, on Thursday , and she is in the State of Veracruz for the weekend, doing a Half Marathon with her Runner's Group, and should be home tonight. Veracruz is not one of the affected States, so far.

Armando and I agreed to remain in close contact. He thinks there's a strong possibilty Mexico City will be shut down soon, no one allowed in or out. I will keep you posted.

Everyone in the following pictures , taken in March, 2008 in Puerto Vallarta, lives in Mexico City, with the exception of Joe and I.

From Left to Right:The Siblings- Jessica, Felipe, Raquel and Armando:


From Left Top Right: Joe, Raquel, Melissa (Jessica's Daughter), Felipe, Nora (Felipe's Wife), Jessica, Lety (Armando's Wife), Armando.


3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow... will they be coming here for a while?

MoonRaka said...

HI Raquel,

We have been in Salida, but yesterday I heard on the radio about the swine flu in Mexico City. I immediately thought of the family there. Thank you for the update on the situation. I hope things do not develop further, both in regards to the disease, but also panic in the population. I am sorry that I did not post about this to you on the Daily Avocado, but Greg is the one with the know how there! I should really get trained!

Hope that everything else is okay.

Love,
Amy

MoonRaka said...

Sue, I don't think so, they all still have to go to work. Also, they might not be able to come to the USA; it depends on how "serious" the situation gets, and what restrictions will be put on travel from there to here.