Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August 26th at Bandimere Speedway




These videos were taken at Bandemire Speedway in Morrison, CO by my friend David Simpson. This is a 1/4 mile drag strip. During the drag season, Colorado State Patrol holds a "Test and Tech" night every Wednesday. They do this so that when people want to go fast they will take it to the track rather than race on the streets. Anyone can run their car there, whether it's a daily driver or an all-out race car. It is pretty much random who you will line up with because this is just a test night and not an actual competition. The only goal on test night is to make the fastest pass possible. Adjustments are made (via laptop and tuning software in my case) between each pass in an effort to get a faster time. My 2 fastest runs were 12.72 @ 110 mph and 12.77 @ 113 mph. This means from a dead stop to over 110 mph in under 13 seconds, which is pretty insane for a street driven car (especially a 4 cylinder).

The car is a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo all wheel drive. I've had this car for 7 years and gone through 2 engines. This time I decided to go all out and build a super-strong engine that will be able to handle the abuse. I literally removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled this engine myself without a helping hand. This included removing the engine, disassembling and inspecting it, having the block machined, and then blue printing (checking measurements) and reassembling it with brand new forged internals, and finally reinstalling it in the vehicle. This engine is capable of supporting 650 horsepower, but with my current turbo and fuel system it's only dealing with around 375 to 400 horsepower at the moment. My goal the entire time I've had this vehicle has been to make passes faster than 12.9. Now that I've accomplished this, I am aiming for 11s and hopefully sponsors and competitions at some point.
The first video is a 13.3, the second a 13.2, and the third a 12.72 @ 110 mph, my quickest run ever. In both of the first two videos I either messed up the launch, or missed a gear. Thanks for looking! Alex








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex, that was very cool. Good job on the engine rebuild and i/4 mile times. Keep up the good work.

Joe Sr.

Suzanne said...

I'm proud of you Tokie!

MoonRaka said...

Alejandro,
I've always known that you like working on your Race Car (from your Mom)and that you've been doing it for a long time.
I think it's great that you are letting us into your "Passion/Hobby", and your explanation of how it all goes down really helps us understand. This was very interesting and you kicked some major bootie on that race track.
I Love You Alejandro.

Joe Morales said...

Awesome dude! I agree with my mom. I always knew you did stuff with cars but now I have a whole new appreciation for it. That's some challenging work and a lot of fun too! Thanks for posting.

Shmalex said...

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone. This really means a lot to me since I've worked so long to get here. This is by far my biggest hobby.

Unknown said...

Alex, that was exciting, and great to know it was all on a safe track and not a street race. The information on your rebuild was great even though I probably didn't understand a lot of it. Just seeing that little white car (so clean and pretty) running ahead in the video by David was the part we all can participate in. Grandma