Friday, October 10, 2008

"I Am From" by Suzanne- 2008

“I Am From”
By Suzanne, Fall 2008
I am from rooms of different colors, an almost completed mosaic coffee table salvaged from the soon to be Goodwill stash, awaiting the perfect piece. I am from a half painted ceiling mural of beautiful clouds that makes my arms burn, but lifts my soul into the glorious universe. I am from bird feathers and plumes, volumes of animal soundtracks, nuts and seeds on the floor twenty-four seven, a smorgasbord that draws wild squirrels in through the doggie door.
I am from a back breaking planting of Perennials, that replace the grass and feed part of the world without asking for much water.
I am from multitudes of different cultured neighborhoods, some trashed, some immaculate, some wooded, some by the sea, big cities with dirty air, small towns with Southern accents and fresh air, all contributing to the who I am. I am from short sighted and impatient Aurora that can’t see my bigger picture, and won’t allow more than twelve inches of dirt between plants and a break to these stiff knees; Aurora that tells me to pluck out herbs they believe to be weeds, those herbs that I bought with money I didn‘t have. I love my view.
I am from fields of corn, cows licking milk off each other’s faces, electric fences that my Grandpa let zap me through his shielding body and a leaf, Grandma’s Root Beer in mini bottles made of green glass. I am from “Thirteen feet of fun”, who played the guitar I inherited on a Chicago radio show. I am from swimming across rivers on horseback with suitcases tied to the saddles, “if you get sucked down by a whirlpool, let it take you down to the bottom of the river, push off, up through the middle, take a breath of air and yell “Help!” I am from twelve hour trips to visit distant relatives where I had to peel my butt off of the saddle, candles stuck on the wall for light and constant running ice cold water piped up from the river with bamboo.
I am from “Sut up littol gurl, you can’t say dat, you can’t do dat!” (Gabey) I am from “You don’t do dat you bad ting!” (Vietnamese accent) I am from “There is plenty of running water, you just have to go to the river to catch it.” (Kenchi) I am from “Senorita, en el garash hay unos tu- bai- fors por si quieren hacer unos cheos.” (Mexican accent)
I am from aromatic herbs that dance through the house to Bossa Nova and Salsa, permeate my nose hairs and leave my taste buds and zoo animals begging for more.
I am from where my mind goes when my eyes stare aimlessly, or look up toward the ceiling, tears pooling, seeing chapters of languages, sounds, foreign smells, hugs to say hello, kisses on both cheeks, kisses on one cheek, good luck rubs on Johnny‘s blonde head, good luck touching of eyes not tainted with fear, exotic music, conversations with family and souls I’ll never see in body again.

2 comments:

MoonRaka said...

Sue,

What Beautiful Poetry!

Thank you for letting us look into your soul, and for verbalizing your wonderful make.

I Love You Senorita....you and the 2 by fers to make those cheos.

Moon

Greg and Amy Reed said...

Hi Suzanne,

Great "I am from"....you write as well as you sing and play guitar...which is AWESOME!!!!

Greg